Wednesday, April 27, 2011

You Are What You Buy

Sometimes I feel powerful at the grocery store.  Telling big business what's important to comsumers. Whole foods, organics, free range meat/eggs.  Then someone walks by with a cart full of frozen meals, sugar cereal, ice cream, soda, chips and bottled water-a great farse.

Brian thinks I'm a snob.  It's not that, I happen to love an occasional box of mac-n-cheese, hot dogs, or a nice cold coke every couple months.  It's actually a combination of cheapness and guilt.  I can't bear to spend good money on high fructose corn syrup or support companies that harm animals and the land to make their product cost less.

A few times I've heard people say they want to eat healthier or incorporate more vegetables.  My theory is you just have to change what you buy.  And the internet has so many recipes there's no excuse.  It might only work for intense people like me that don't let anything go bad.

Now I'm having to confront my past purchases from the marvelous bulk section of Winco.  You can buy any dry food for cheap without using any packaging at all if you reuse bags.  In anticipation of moving sometime in the next few months I'm trying to use up all the food in our pantry so we don't have to move it.  Now I have all kinds of grains staring me in the face.


The other night was barley risotto. Last night, a sort of chickpea stew over brown rice.  I was worried what Brian would say about our 3rd vegetarian/vegan meal in a row.  Luckily he came home starving and  raved about it. I think I'll treat the poor guy with a roast chicken tonight.  He always acts like its Christmas when there's a golden bird coming out of the oven.




 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! Corey gets excited when I cook too. Have you found a house then? It seems like everything is going so well for you guys.