Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eating Our Greens






Last Tuesday we got our first box of our share from the farm. Eli was more excited than us, playing with the onion scape (tall, hollow shoot holding the onion's flower) like a sword. Everything was green except for a few small parsnips. This week's was the same, with a couple extra types of lettuce and collard greens and kale. It's all so beautiful I feel bad wilting it away in the pan.

We've been eating lots of green and learning how to use all parts of the plant. Watercress stems in soup, Crysanthemum leaf tea, oven roasted chicken over a bed of onion scapes. Tonight they'll be in the potato gratin, along with plenty of fresh tarragon. The salads have been my favorite, so many types, each with their own flavor and texture. Even our ice cream was green, made with fresh mint.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl.

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi said...

That is awesome! I need to eat more greens for sure - we like salads, but they never seem to have a lot of variety in them. I need to start what you're doing

Kristyn said...

I love, love it. If I could, I would hire you to cook for me everyday.