Friday, August 6, 2010

5 Years Ago





Thinking about it now, I must've been the most practical bride ever. My mom likes to bring up the other "bride-zillas" in the bride room of the temple that day. I'd actually shown up early for pictures before the 12:45 sealing and, because of space issues, had to get dressed in the cramped changing lockers. I did nothing special with my hair, no jewelry, and probably just the basic mascara, blush, and lip balm.

The night before I sat alone in my future grandmother-in-law's basement and trimmed and arranged 12 dozen red roses (on sale for $6/dozen) and a few yellow crespedia and pink dahlias. Luckily my roommate had shown me how to make a bouquet a couple weeks before with a few spray roses mixed in. Luckier I didn't let that same roommate take the pictures. I don't think she ever talked to me again. And luckiest, my friend Leilani's dad offered to take them for free. He's a saint. Truly. He drove down to Provo to take our engagements, met us downtown for my bridals, and took his whole family up to Logan for our wedding and I don't even know how long editing took. The more I think about it I should mail him a really big check, 5 years late.



Looking through the photos, my smile is much bigger and happier in the after-the-sealing shots. Hmmm... maybe I should go back and analyze Brian's face instead. He did have quite a time deciding to get married.

I don't remember much about the ceremony except looking at everyone's faces and feeling so much love and joy. The one regret I have, a fading memory and nothing written down.


There was no "wedding party" with bride's maids and such. Not even specific colors for people to wear. Looks like Brian's mom made arrangements within their side of the family.

We went on to Brian's grandma's house for the back yard reception. The one thing we splurged on was food. Of course. I should remember better since it's what we ate for the next couple days. Shrimp, cheesecake, chocolate-covered strawberries. When we met with the restaurant owner to pick a menu, we were about to walk out and he asked if we had other arrangements for a cake. I totally forgot!!! I told him chocolate and left the rest up to him. It was a happy surprise when I saw it and he'd even added some flower arrangements from around to make it beautiful for the official cake cutting.


Then we were off to Bear Lake. It's always fun going back, remembering the care-free, exciting days of young love. Like next week. We'll return with 5 years, two kids, and several extra pounds under our belts. It's been a smooth, happy start to eternity. We are best friends grateful for each other every day.

6 comments:

Leilani said...

Awww....got teary eyed reading this. Especially the temple ceremony part. I remember being so happy for you. Happy Anniversary!

Guzel said...

I am reading and crying. So touching. You are guys so good for each other.
Happy anniversary!

Kim said...

Happy anniversary! It's hard to believe you've been married 5 years.

Anonymous said...

Lena: This post made me especially happy because if you are happy I am ecstatic. May you and Brian have many, many more anniversaries.
Mom

Grandma Corrales said...

Happy Anniversary you two! Five years have gone by so fast...You're a wonderful couple, wonderful parents, with wonderful children! Frank and I feel so blessed to have you as part of our family!

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, 5 years already! Don and I are almost at the 4.5year mark. I remember going up to the reception, you two were just beaming! I'm so glad you two are enjoying life and are very happy!