Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Distance


My mom raised us girls to be independent. Besides teaching me things like basic cooking, sewing, and the likes, every year I was gone from home for a month visiting my dad. At 18 I hopped on a train with all my belongings and went off to college by myself. I couldn't relate to the other girls in the dorms crying over homesickness, I thought they were silly to be honest. I've always lived far from family and it would sometimes make me sad, but now that I have kids it is much harder.

This last month we've been lucky enough to have constant visitors. Thanks Esme. My mom, sister, Brian's sister, his parents, and then my parents, one after the other. Eli loved it. People that love him come and play... Then they have to leave once he's attached. Sometimes he cried, other times he was just somber, but he always ran to the window to yell out as they got in their cars. After we closed the door behind our last visitor I cried. I feel terrible doing this to him. Now I know why our friends from around here choose to stay near family.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anna said...

It sounds like you had a really nice visit. I'm glad. I'm sorry they can't come visit you more often.

Grandma Corrales said...

We had such a wonderful time, Helena...Frank and I promised each other we'd make the trek to Utah more often in 2010. Although it would be wonderful to live nearer to family, it sure makes the visit meaningful!