Monday, February 1, 2010

Cloth Diapering



Around the time Eli was born I found some cards advertising cloth diaper services. I thought it was crazy--I asked the lady if very many people did that and if it was just hippies. I'm so embarrassed of my 23-year old self. Little did I know that a couple years later that not only would my kid be wearing them, but that I would have sewed them (thanks to Anna).

I thought it was going to be a big deal, but, honestly, it's not much more than a few small loads of laundry a week. I'll admit, it is a relief that Eli is mostly potty-trained, just wearing them at night. A certain product has helped the battle with bacteria and the not-so-pleasant odor, but Esme's diapers are so innocent her bucket doesn't even need a lid yet. They don't even have to be rinsed, as I learned today. Although, when I do, she doesn't mind the extra time on the changing table, she just twists around so she can see herself in the mirror, seriously, every time.


They do provide challenges, though. They don't exactly have a billion-dollar industry behind them and so they have drawbacks for people used to throw-aways. They must be changed more often (Esme every 2-3 hours, but overnights last 12 hours) since they can't absorb as much or stay as dry as we're used to. And wetness can spread from the top-stitching, so onesies that cling should be avoided (although they prevent blow-outs better than regular diapers). Amusingly, they give the kids extra large booties. Sometimes Brian and I can't help but laugh when Eli wears a double-stuffed one to bed under slim-fitting pajama pants. I'm just glad we have them for the boy so I don't feel like pressuring him to make it through the night sooner than he's ready because diapers and pull-ups are expensive. Potty training + pressure= disaster.


So, after an insane number of hours sewing and spending around $350, several children can be diapered from birth to potty training. I don't think Brian would agree to having another child just so the diapers would be used again. I bet he would if he'd been the one sewing them.

2 comments:

Grandma Corrales said...

You do such a great job of sewing these! It's a far cry from the triangular flannel jobs that was used on prior generations of backsides!

Jeanne Anderson said...

You're hilarious Helena. And all your projects are just amazing! Way to go girly!