Thursday, August 21, 2008

Clafouti- Perfect Summertime Dessert

Don't ask me how to pronounce it, but it's easy and quick to make, healthy, and delicioso. With some apricots getting wrinkly in the fruit bowl, I had to do something. I whipped out the Williams Sonoma baking cookbook and found this recipe, Apricot Clafoutis. It's basically a tart without the pastry; fruit and custard are baked in single serving ramekins or a 10 inch tart pan. I threw in some aging cherries to use them up and add some color. Apricots can often be dry, but when baked they are perfectly juicy and a little bit tart. I added a couple tablespoons of sugar and a couple of dashes of cinnamon to the fruit before placing in baking cups. The recipe makes a bit too much custard for only 4 servings, so I double the fruit and use all 8 of my ramekins. (I'll double the fruit below)

2 Pounds fruit seeded and cut into chunky bites(apricot, cherries, plums, or pears)

2Eggs
3/4 C. Milk
6 T. Sugar
1 t. Lemon Zest

1 t. Vanilla

1 Pinch Salt

1/3 C. Flour

Powdered Sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350, butter ramekins, and place them on cookie sheet. Drop in prepared fruit. In blender combine eggs, milk, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt, and flour. Pour over fruit, dividing evenly among dishes. Bake 25-35 minutes until bubbling and tops are browned. Cool on wire rack and you can sprinkle with powdered sugar once cool.

Simple, huh? It's a painless do-ahead dessert and anything served a ramekin is classy, not to mention it's French. I'm just glad I have a figure-friendly dessert to give to friends that I know are trying to eat healthily. Maybe I should, but I sure don't feel guilty after a buttery tart and some ice cream.


Martha has some great seasonal fruit recipes (including Cherry Clafouti), although they are more complicated and extravagant, as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds and looks yummy...I'll have to try it.

--Kim