Monday, August 18, 2008

Over The River And Through The Woods

To combat our loneliness (well, I don't know if Eli's lonely, but) yesterday we went to visit Brian's sweet little Mexican grandma a couple of hours away. It was our first road trip, just the two of us. We made it just fine (probably thanks to our worrying grandma's constant prayers) despite the deer-infested, curving two-lane highway under construction. Eli did well except for some crying over dropped toys and food that I couldn't hand him. It was well worth it. Once there, we were greeted by the sweetest little grandma with a table full of food, most important being the homemade tortillas and chili. We did not come empty-handed like we usually do. We brought grandma a bundt-shaped zucchini bread. The link for the recipe will follow, cuz it's a good one.
After lunch, Eli was up to the same monkey-business: chasing after cats with his stroller. It was nice to hear stories and look at pictures. I've never met someone more warm and sincere. I remember the first time I met her, I wasn't sure what to do after she said "I love you." If her kids/grandkids bring someone home, it's like they're a member of the family. By this morning Eli still wouldn't let her hold him, until he needed someone to put his shoes on so we could leave. Whenever it's time to go, she sends us home with home-made tortillas, whatever food she can spare, and some money "for hamburgers." I'm sure grandma won't mind me sharing the recipe for the tortillas she's been making for like 75 years, only using her hands to measure the ingredients:

2 1/2 C. Flour
1 T. Baking Powder
1 t. Salt
2 T. Grease (oil, shortening, bacon drippings, grandma would insist on lard)
1 C. Hot Water

To dry ingredients add grease, which doesn't have to incorporate fully, the hot water will do that. Add hot water. If it's dry or sticky, add a bit of water or flour. Get frying or cast iron pan hot on medium heat. Keep dough covered so it doesn't dry out and pull off pieces to make a ball 2 inches in diameter. Roll out (don't worry, it won't be a circle, not until you're a grandma) on floured surface or silpat, as thin as you can get it, about 1/8 inch and brown on either side in hot pan. Can be cooled and frozen in foil for later.
Now that I type directions out, it sounds pretty laborious, but it isn't. It's a nice treat and doable since tacos aren't much work anyway.

She was astonished when it came up that I make tortillas sometimes too. Uh oh. She might not make them for us anymore.


(About the Zucchini Bread, you can half the oil and put around 3/4 C. of pineapple juice, which I did because I had extra in the 20 oz. can of tidbits, which I broke up and used half of. I usually add chocolate chips to everything, but this time threw in craisins for color and a bit of tartness.)

2 comments:

Anna said...

I"m loving your blog, are you having so much fun with it?

Helena said...

Ya! Thanks Anna. You know what's up.