Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cutest Copycat

I read somewhere that children between the ages of 1 and 2 learn by copying things they see. In elementary school copycats were annoying, but when Eli does it he melts my heart. When he's trying to open a bottle he tugs on his onesie since he sees us using our shirts to try and get a grip on jars. When I put him to bed I hold him by his crib and sing a couple songs. Lately he insists on standing next to me in the dark while he sways and sings with me. He has even picked up a couple of stroller skills from his wise mother. He was ahead of me as we were leaving the tile store the other day and he employed my push-the-door-with-your-back-trick.
Brian and I always say, "This is the best stage." He loves to play, doesn't mind when we change the channel, feeds himself, is getting more independent, and yet he makes us feel important with his imitations. This is definitely the best stage.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'll say! I love that my niece, Karly, is five (I took her to her third day of kindergarten today!!!) but I miss her 1-2 year old days. The other day, Emma (her little sister, age 1) woke up from a seemingly terrifying nightmare while I was sleeping over. I picked her up and rocked her back to sleep. Wouldn't you know it, it's starting with her! As I rocked her and patted her back, she rested her head on my shouler, wrapped her arms around my neck, and gently pat my back. I wanted to giggle and cry all at once. I LOVE THAT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute that Eli copies what you do. What a doll!

--Kim