Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ratatouille

Comfort Food for me, I have realized, is what I have eaten in my favorite places, Santa Barbara and Switzerland. I never succeed in making perfect pork roast and pinto beans like my grandma, and last night I tried yet again to make ratatouille served over polenta like Heidi in Switzerland. It was my best attempt yet, the recipe coming from a great website that gives step by step direction (but has a limited number of recipes in its file). I will try and put some zucchini recipes up since the little green squash is in season and you either have a garden, a friend with a garden, or see them on super-sale at the grocery store. I don't know if normal people cook ratatouille, but I think we should all try it. It is inexpensive, healthy, and so hearty even Brian didn't miss the meat.
Luckily the polenta (or grits) turned out quite well; it can substitute noodles in any pasta dish. (I would use chicken bouillon instead of the salt used in the link and stir in a handful of Parmesan cheese and couple tablespoons of butter at the end.) The firm polenta and soft vegetables were supposed to be perfect for Eli, but he was done after 4 slightly coerced bites.
The tomato, eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper don't have to be layered elegantly like in the movie, we just serve it like stew.
I'll admit, when we were eating dinner last night I felt a bit like Ego when he was transported to being a 6-year old boy in his mother's Provence kitchen just by taking a bite of Remy's ratatouille.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ratatouille looks delicious! You are such an amazing chef!

--Kim